Ulster Ancestry
Is there someone you know who has always wanted to research and compile a history of their family? An Ulster Ancestry Genealogy Gift Certificate is the ideal gift.
Ulster Ancestry - Ancestral and Family Research in Northern Ireland
Research Services Free Pages Living Heirs Research Testimonials
Free Newsletter Search this site Buy Documents Frequent Questions
Genealogy Forum The Ulster Scots Townland Database Contact
Ulster Ancestry Free Ancestor Search - Search over 330,000 ancestors and ancestry records. Heir Hunters Association


Land Grants in Donegal

Lands Grants in the Precinct of Liffer (Lifford)
     Barony of Raphoe and County of Donegal
     1608 Plantation of Ulster
  
     Grantees
 
1.  Henry Clare, of Stanfield Hall, Norfolk Co.
2.  William Willson, of Bolton, Suffolk Co.
3.  Edward Russell, Esq., of London (sold his patent soon thereafter
    to John Kingsmill.
4.  Sir William Barnes, Knt. (sold his lands to Edward Russell,Esq.)
5.  Capt. Ralph Mansfield
6.  Sir Thomas Cornewall, Knt., son of Thomas Cornewall, Baron of
    Burford, in Salop.
7.  Sir Thomas Remyngton, Knt. (disposed of his lands to Sir Ralph Bingley)
8.  Sir Maurice Barkeley, Knt., of Somersetshire (soon sold his lands
    to Sir Ralph Bingley)
9.  Sir Thomas Caoch, Knt.
  
    Land Grants in the Precinct of Portlough, Barony of Raphoe and County of Donegal
    1608 A.D.

       Grantees
1.  Duke of Lennox, i.e., Ludovic Stuart, 2nd Duke of Lennox
2.  Sir Walter Stewart, Knt, Laird of Minto
3.  Alexander McAula, of Dublin, gent. (sold his land to an Alexander Stewart).
4.  John Cuningham, of Crafield or Crawfield, son of Sir James.
5.  William Stewart, laird of Dunduff, of the parish of Maybole, in Ayrshire.
6.  James Cunyngham, laird of Glangarnocke, a descendant of Sir Edward
    Cuningham of Kilmaurs.
7.  Cuthbert Cuningham, of the same family as James Cunyngham.
8.  James Cuningham, Esq.   Uncle of Sir James of Glengarnock.
9.  John Stewart, Esq.
  
    Lands Grants in the Barony of Boylagh, county of Donegal
 
1.  Sir Robert Macklellan, laird of Bomby (7th Earl of Bombie), Scotland
2.  George Murraye, laird of Broughton, of Whithorn, in Wigtonshire.
3.  William Stewart, Esq.
4.  James McCullock, gent., of Dummorell, Scotland.
5.  Alexander Dunbar.
6.  Patrick Vaus/Vans/Vance of Libragh, gent. (parish of Kirkinner, in Wigtonshire),
    son of Sir Patrick Vans/Vance or Vaus, of Barnbarrock.
7.  Alexander Coningham of Powton, gent.,( parish of Sorbie, in Wigtonshire.)

    Pynnar\\\'s Survey 1618 A.D. of the above land grants

    The Precinct of Liffer(Lifford), alloted to English Undertakers.
 
1.  Sir Henry Docwra, Knight, undertaker of 2,000 acres, has by allowance
     of this Council, passed over his portion of land to William Wylson
     of Clare, in Suffolk.
2.   Sir Morris Barkley, Knight, undertaker of 2,000 acres.
3.   Sir Robert Remington, Knight, 2,000 acres.
4.   Sir Thomas Cornwall, Knight, 2,000 acres. (resident agent, Edward
     Littleton).
5.   Sir William Barnes, Knight, 1,500 acres.  Sold his portion to
     Captain Edward Russell.
6.   Sir Henry Clare, 1,500 acres (resident agent, William Browne)
7.   Sir Thomas Coache, Knight 1,500 acres
8.   Captain Edward Russell, 1,500 acres, is resident, and his son with him.
9.   Captain Mansfield, 1,000 acres.
 
Town of Lyffer.  Fort built by Sir Richard Hansard, Knight.
Town of Donegall.  Fort built by Captain Bassill Brooke.  Two miles
                   from thence Captain Paul Goare has erected a stone
                   house out of the ruins of O\\\'Boyles old castle upon
                   the sea side. 
 
10.  Peter Benson, 1,500 acres
     On May 1, 1616, Peter Benson, the proprietor, let several portions
     of his lands as follows:
 
       Qr. of Tevickmoy to Sir Ralph Bingley, Robert Kilpatterick,
           James Kilpatterick, and Archiband McMathe.
 
       Qr. of Dunmoyle to James Maxwell, James Tate ,
           Robert Kilpatterick, John Ewart, and Thomas Watson.
 
       Qr. of Tirecullin to George Newton.
 
       Qr. of Garwerey to Ludovic Stubbins, Toole McDevitt, and
           George Hilton.
 
       Qr. of Shraghmirler to George Bailie, Richard Roper,
           James Read.
 
       Qr. of Teadanmore, to Henry Preston, Thomas Preston,
           Donnell McKecoge, and Chas Atkinson.
 
       Qr. of Newna to Sir Richard Hansard, Richard Babington and
           Edward Catherall.
 
       Qr. of Knockgarran to John Kilpattrick and Archibald
           McMathe. 
 
11.   William Wilson, Esq. 2,000 acres called Aghagalla.
      Son was Sir John Wilson, d. 1636.  Left a dau., Anne, aged two
      years, d. 1639.  Property next owned by her uncle, Andrew Wilson,
      brother of Sir John.
 
12.   Sir Thomas Cornwall 2,000 acres (First patentee).  Thomas Davis
      holdeth from his brother, Robert Davis, 2,000 acres called
      Corlackin.
 
13.   Captain Ralph Mansfield, 1.000 acres called Killneguidon.(Killygorden)
      d. 10 Nov. 1634, succeeded by his son and heir, John Mansfield,
      of age and married. ( Editors note: Both buried in Donaghmore Cof I, Ballindrait Graveyard)
 
14.   Captain Russell 1,500 acres called Acarine (First Patentee). Now
      held by Sir John Kingsmill, Knight.
      Also sold other potions to William Wilson.
 
      Tenants:  in 1636, Sir John Vaughan and Thomas Perkins, Esq.,
                   the quarter called Monyn.
 
15.   Sir Robert Remington, the First Patentee, 2,000 acres called
      Tonafocies.  Now held by Sir Ralph Bingley.  His widow married
      Robert Harrington, Esq.  Lands assigned to Edward Carter (wife,
      Owny (Una) Carter.
 
16.   Sir Maurice Bartley, first Patentee, 2,000 acres called Drummore and
      Llurgagh.  Now held by Sir Ralph Bingley, Knight.
      Sir Maurice Bartley (Berkeley) planted on his lands certain
      British settlers named:  Nicholas Apthwilyn, Geo. Cartwright,
      William Ridgett, John Sheppard, Robert Torkington,
      Abraham Gorveill, and Tristran Emery.
 
17.  Sir Thomas Coach, Knight, 1,500 acres called Lismongoan.
     d.  3 May 1620, was succeeded by his son, Henry (12 yrs. old).
 
18.  Sir William Barns, first Patentee, 1,500 acres, called Monester.
     Now held by Sir John Kingsmill, Knight, and Mr. William Wilson.
  
     The Precinct of Porlough, appointed to Scottish Undertakers.
  
1.  Duke of Lennoz, chief undertaker of 2,000 acres.  Sir Aulant
    Aula, Knight, his resident agent.
 
2.  Sir Walter Stewart, Knight, Laird of Minto, 1,000 acres.
 
3.  John Crawford, Laird Kilberry, 1,000 acres.
 
4.  Alexander McAula, of Durlinge, 1,000 acres.
  
5.  Sir James Cunningham, Knight. Laird Glangarnoth, 2,000 acres.
    Resident agent, Robert Younge.
 
6.  John Cunningham of Crawfield, 1,000 acres.
 
7.  Cuthbert Cunningham, 1,000 acres.
 
8.  William Stewart, Laird Dunduffe, 1,000 acres.
 
9.  James Cunningham of Horomilne, 1,000 acres.
 
10.  John Cunningham, Gentleman, 1,000 acres called Dunboy.  Son
     of Sir James Cunningham of Glengarnock in Ayrshire.
 
11.  James Cunningham, 1,000 acres, called Moyegh.
     1st Nov 1614 leased parcels of land to:
 
     Qr. called Ardrie to James Robbin, Robert Hunter, and John Martin.
 
     Qr. called Moyle to William Boyle.
 
     Qr. called Monegragane to James Patterson, Alexander McKilchany,
         and John Plowright.
 
     Qr. called Playter or Plaister to John Molsed, Robert Allane,
         John Fyffe, Donnell McKilmun, and John Wilson.
 
     Qr. called Moyfadda to Bernard Coningha, James Boyle, John Bryce,
         William Sare, Donnell Gillaspick, John Fleminge, Donnell McEvene,
         William McCassack, Alexander Colewell, John Wigton, John Ramsey,
         Stephen Woolson, Andrew Calwell, and William Coningham.
 
     Qr. called Donboy to Andrew Coningham and Robert Boyle.
 
     Qr. called Roghan, to Donnell Connell.
  
      On 1 May 1613 Leased lands to:
 
     Moiagh, to Alex. Dunne, John Dunne, Donnell McKym, John Dunne, Junior,
             John Younge, Wm. Hendry, Alex. Grynney, and William Stewart.
 
     Grackhy, to William Valentyne, Hugh Moore, William Moore, and
              David Kennedy.
 
     Magherymore, to John Watson, Robert Paterson, William Ekyn, George Blacke,
                  Andrew Smythe, James Gilmore, Willaim Gaate (Galt),
                  George Peere (Perry), John McKym, Andrew Browne, William
                  Sutherland, William Rankin, and John Smythe.
 
    Magherybeg, to John Purveyance, John Harper, Hugh Lockard, Thomas Scott,
                John Browne.

    Dryan, to John Roger, William Teyse, and Donnell McEredy. 
 
    Tryan Carrickmore, to David Kennedy, and William Valentyne.
 
    Eredy, to Wm. Arnett, Andrew Arnett, John Alexander, John Hutchine,
           Peter Stevenson, John Hamilton, Edward Homes, and George Leich.
          
12. Sir James Cunningham, 2,000 cares called Decastrose and Portlogh.
    Sold his lands 26 Feb. 1616, to Sir William Alexander of Menstrey.
    Sold additional lands 20 Jan. 1619 to Alex. Cunningham of Ballesallagh,
    in the county of Down.
 
13.  Cuthbert Cunningham, 1,000 acres called Dromagh or Coole McTreene.
 
14.  William Stewart, Laird of Dunduff, 1,000 acres called Cooleghie.
 
        On 10 June 1614 leased portions of land to:
 
     Qr. of Drumbarnad, to Archibald Thomson, John Coningham, A Huggin,
                John Hood, James Dunsayer, William Fullerton, and
                Gilbert Kennyday.
 
    Qr. of Moneymore, to John MacKay, John Smyth, Alex. Lockard, Alex. Hunter,
               James Sayre, Walter Stewart, and William Smelley.
 
    Qr. of Kilvarry, to Thomas Lodge.
 
    Qr. of Drumoghill, to Arthur Stewart, gent.
 
    Qr. of Drumalls, to Michael McLoghery and Owen Macintire.
  
15.  Alexander McAwley alias Stewart, 1,000 acres called Ballyneagh.  
Sold
    the lands to Alexander Stewart.  John Stewart, son of the purchaser,
    held the lands in 1629.
 
16.  The Laird of Luss (Sir John Colquhoun), 1,000 acres called Cargagh.
     In 1662, Humphrey and Robert Galbraith held the lands in fee.
 
17.  Sir John Stewart, Knight, 3,000 acres called Cashell, Ketin and
     Littergull.  Underagent of Ludovic Stuart, Lord of Lenox.
  
     The Precinct of Boilagh and Banagh, allotted to Scottish
     Undertakers
 
1.  Sir Robert Maclellan, Knt., Laird Bombey, chief undertaker        
    of Rossed, 2,000 acres.  Andrew Johnson, resident agent.
 
2.  George Murrey, Laird Boughton, 1,500 acres.
 
3.  William Steward, brother to Gartlesse (Lord Garlies), 1,500 acres.
 
4.  Sir Patrick McKee, Knight, 1,000 acres.
 
5.  Alexander Cunningham, of Ponton Elder, 1,000 acres.
 
6.  James McCullogh, 1,000 acres.
 
7.  Alexander Downebar, 1,000 acres.
 
8.  Patrick Vans, 1,000 acres.
 
9.  George Murrey, Laird Broughton, undertaker of 1,500 acres.
 
    John Murrey, Esq., hath all Boilagh and Bannagh, being 10,000 acres.
    (of Cockpool).  Earl of Annandale, 1624.
  
    The Laird Brombe (Laird Bombie), the first patentee (Sir Robert
    MacLellan). Alienated his portion to Archibald Acheson, Esq,  1616.  Lands
    then passed to John Murray, afterwards, Lord Annandale.
 
    Captain Thomas Dutton hath 2,000 acres called the Rosses.
 
    Sir Patrick McKee, first patentee, now held by John Murrey, Esq.,
    1,000 acres, called Cargie.
 
    Patrick Vaus (Vans), first patentee, now held by John Murrie,
 
    William Stewart, first patentee, now held by John Murrey, Esq. 1,500 acres.
    (brother of Sir Alexander Stewart, Viscount Garlies, of Galloway).
 
    Alexander Dunbar, first patentee, now held by John Murrey, Esq, 1,000
    acres.  Lease to Rowland Cogwell.
 
    The Laird Broughton, first patentee, now held by John Murrey, 1,000 acres.
 
    Alexander Cunningham, holds 1,000 acres, called Moynagan.
 
    James Mccullogh holds 1,000 acres, called Mullaghvegh.        
  

Ulster Ancestry, Free Pages, Co Donegal
 

 
 

 

 
 
 

 

 


You are visitor number:  to Ulster Ancestry

Ulster Ancestry - Ancestral Research, Family Research Services, Genealogy Reports, Free Ancestral Research Forum and Ancestral Information

All Content is Copyright Ulster Ancestry, Family and Ancestral Research