Research Services - Get Reports, Family History Details and much more Buy Documents - Buy Ancestral Documents - Click here Free Content - Ancestral Information, details of townlands and more... Sign Up to our Free Ancestral Newsletter sent every 2-3 weeks
Ulster Ancestry Genealogy & Ancestry Forums Forum Index Ulster Ancestry Genealogy & Ancestry Forums
Message board for discussion of Ulster Genealogy and Northern Ireland Ancestry / Family History

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
New membership is closed. Current users log in as usual.

Ulster Ancestry Free Ancestor Search - Search over 330,000 ancestors and ancestry records.

William Low(e)ry of Belfast

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ulster Ancestry Genealogy & Ancestry Forums Forum Index -> Antrim Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Margaret Baensch

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject: William Low(e)ry of Belfast Reply with quote

Does anyone have a William low(e)ry, merchant, of Belfast, in their family tree? William died in 1852. In his will he left money to three of his known grandchildren, James, Annie Elizabeth & Margaret Whitla. Their mother was a Margaret Low(e)ry who married a Joseph Whitla. Can anyone tell me where I could get any information about this will? Thanks from Margaret Baensch, Australia.
JimG
Gold member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a note about your Joseph Whitla saying he was a County down farmer with birth best before 1807. I doubt if I have further information on the Lowery end. If you want more on the Whitla i will look it up, Jim
Margaret Baensch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:08 am    Post subject: William Low(e)ry & Joseph Whitla Reply with quote

Thanks Jim I would appreciate that. Do you have any knowledge regarding Irish wills? Regards, Margaret
JimG
Gold member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret, My apologies for not following your query up. You sensed pressure wisely, thank you. My Whitla material is currently split up physically and split across 2 computers. Much of my Whitla research is pre 2005, I am not sure if I have told you my name is James Whitla Gracey [ so named in honour of my uncle]. He discovered our Whitla line comes from Co Monaghan and my uncle discovered that a family row changed the name from Whitley to Whitlaw to Whitla within the early lifetime of Robert Whitla 1817 of Monaghan. My Gracey line lived in Ballyaltikilligan townland, Comber nr Newtownards 1688-1901. There is also a Whitla connection to Ballyaltikilligan. Conlig townland {mentioned by Christopher and is a Whitla pocket]is close bye in a northerly direction with Samuel Whitla living there 1863-4, and close by on the east side of Newtownards, another Whitla pocket at Ballywatticock/ Ballywitticock.. Movilla cemetery, Newtownards has a few Whitla buried there. I have almost no knowledge on wills, certainly none historically speaking, you will need others to quide you.

Recapping your Whitla line is so far

Joseph Whitla b abt & Margaret Low(e)ry b abt
Had children
James Whitla of Newtownards, Co. Down or Antrim and , Margaret & Annie Elizabeth
James Whitla b abt was a Presbyterian and was the only one to come to Australia
Margaret & Annie Elizabeth who went to New Zealand.
Margaret b abt died unmarried in 1865,
Annie Whitla b abt married a Charles Bowker and died in 1888.

Your replies on the UA website includes one form Christopher suggesting the Conlig line. I have a copy of Lesley Whitla/Geoff Parr document from a Clements or McClements which I have transcribed with difficulty from scraps of paper. It is this document amongst others that I will try to dig out over this weekend

Recapping on your Low(e)ry
William low(e)ry, d 1852 merchant, of Belfast . William died in 1852. In his will he left money to three of his known grandchildren, James, Annie Elizabeth & Margaret Whitla. Their mother was a Margaret Low(e)ry who married a Joseph Whitla.

Lesley Whitla in Oz, who moved into the bush up country a few years ago and has been back in contact recently. She and Geoff Parr had researched Whitla in the Newtownards area. It is her work I cant find yet, but might by this weekend.

In the meantime www.genesreunited.co.uk/ have grown immensely since I last looked at the Whitla context, but has no Joseph, it does have several Newtownards Co Down which need checking out.

From My Whitla index
Whitla, Joseph John St. Austell 5c 101 FreeBMDs Yr Qtr end Births Jun 1900
Whitla, Joseph Whitla 10m St Austell Cornwall Cornwall St Austell Census England 1901
Whitla, Joseph Whitla, - Ancestral File Gender: M Birth/Christening: Abt 1838 see familysearch Ancestral File
Whitla, JosephCo Down farmersS2Whitla,Josephbbef 18070MargaretLoweryCo Down farmers0Jims incomplete Whitla, index 2003

Joseph Whitla is listed in the Belfast Newsletter 4 - 7 Jan. 1785 amongst many others the item starts” +Newry +Banbridge +Bangor +Dromore.” And ends with “assembly delegates promoting. 20 decision court King''s Bench requisition
freeholders Co. +Downe Parliamentary Reform meeting +Downpatrick 15 choose” see www.raymondscountydownwebsite.com/html/banbridge_c3.htm
Joseph Whitla is listed in the line starting Hamilton and his name is beside Sam Beard {neither helps locate Joseph}

From my Comber index
Whitla, Anna Strean, Miss Anna Strean WHITLA , Comber Wife Of James Colville; Mother Of William Malcolm B, 1866 & Thomas B, 1868 CR, RD, S
Whitla, John, John WHITLA , Comber Husband Of Mary Colville; Father Of Mary B, 24 May 1866 & Henry Douglass Ritchie Whitla B, 1 Dec 1868 & John B, 2 Jan 1870 & Sameul Colville Whitla B, 10 Jul 1874 CR, RD,

From PRONI freeholders www.proni.gov.uk/freeholders/
Result 5 Whitla John Ballywitticock T/761/19 {close to East Newtownard}s
From Ros davies Co Down website
Ballywatticock Newtownards 21: 52/73 a townland 3km SE of Newtownards; 524 acres ; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' Watticock's townland';a grant by King Charles 1st to Hugh, Viscount Montgomerie in 1623; in 1659 there were 5 English/Scots & 5 Catholic families here; the proprietor in 1836 was Lord Londonderry V17 p 123 & V7 p 111, 113 OSM;SP; PNNI V2 p 225
Ballywitticock Newtownards 21: 52/73 alternate spelling for Ballywatticock townland in 1830 PNNI V2 p 225

About Lowry

LOWRY in volumes 2p26, 14p24 Lisara, 14p26 Raffrey, 17N Maxwell, 27N, 46 in the Blackwood Family history manuscript trees in the LinenHall library, Belfast. I suggest you ask them for photocopying estimates if they think your knowledge relevant and you should be prepared to pay a fee for copying, post and packing, and perhaps some staff time and overheads. However if the material is really relevant when you get it, I suggest a further donation to this unique library that is always needing extra funds Linen Hall Library,17 Donegall Square North, Belfast BT15GB, Northern Ireland, Telephone: +44 (0)28 9032 1707, Fax: +44 (0)28 9043 8586, Email: <irish.reference@linenhall.com>.

From PRONI freeholders www.proni.gov.uk/freeholders/ is a good source for Lowery, Lowrey, Lowry locations
That’s all for the time being, more will be on its way next week, Jim
Margaret Baensch

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Whitla/Low(e)ry Research Reply with quote

Many thanks Jim. I look forward to what you will send next. You are a star. Irish research is so hard and I had given up hope of finding anything out at all. Regards from Margaret
JimG
Gold member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret, I have now found all my relevant notes, its too large to post on a message board, would you please contact me direct jimwgraceyathotmailcom with symbol replacing at and a fullstop after mail. It still doesnt give you the answers wanted but is relevant. Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ulster Ancestry Genealogy & Ancestry Forums Forum Index -> Antrim Research All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: