Research Services - Get Reports, Family History Details and much more Buy Documents - Buy Ancestral Documents - Click here Free Content - Ancestral Information, details of townlands and more... Sign Up to our Free Ancestral Newsletter sent every 2-3 weeks
Ulster Ancestry Genealogy & Ancestry Forums Forum Index Ulster Ancestry Genealogy & Ancestry Forums
Message board for discussion of Ulster Genealogy and Northern Ireland Ancestry / Family History

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
New membership is closed. Current users log in as usual.

Ulster Ancestry Free Ancestor Search - Search over 330,000 ancestors and ancestry records.

McGlinchey or McGlinchy of Londonderry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ulster Ancestry Genealogy & Ancestry Forums Forum Index -> Derry/Londonderry Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louotter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject: McGlinchey or McGlinchy of Londonderry Reply with quote

Very Happy

looking for anyone researching the names of McGlinchey or McGlinchy from Londerrry

Urney,strabane, newtownstewart

my family left in 1850;s for Australia but family left behind.

Any information or anyone researching these names I would love to hear from.

Louise
tom0153

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:36 am    Post subject: McGlinchey - MacGlinchy, Belfast/Derry - Mountcharles/Donega Reply with quote

Hello,

I am looking into Charles Edward MacGlinchy, trained as a physician, Queens University, and lic. R. Coll. Surg, Edin, and a lic. midwif, circa 1873, having trained at the Belfast General Hospital, visiting surgeon at the Belfast Union Infirmary, and attended during vacations to the Mountcharles Dispensary District, where he was known prior to his studying medicine.

Any suggestions or leads as to later life events is appreciated.

I am not able to explain the change in spelling for Charles as distinct from Michael McGlinchey.

Charles is presumed to have grown up in Mountcharles with Michael McGlinchey, his brother it is thought, who was born in 1844, married and was widowed there, and then came to the United States via Baltimore and became a naturalized citizen in New York, having married Carrie Munson in Whitestone, Queens.

It may be that they are the sons of Edward McGlinchey of Mountcharles, but I have no documentary evidence for this (only mention of Edward in Griffiths and a note as to the marriage of Edward to one Anne).

Thank you in advance for any assistance.
john1944

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: McGlinchey Reply with quote

Hello,Can you give me a bit more information regarding your McGlinchey`s.
I have William McGlinchey and Isabella nee Ramsey.plus a whole host of others.
Thank you.
John.
tom0153

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, John,

Happy to meet you!

Do you have any dates and birthplaces that you can share?

The name became much more "prolific" here in the United States.

My branch came to the U.S. via Baltimore. Michael married one Carrie Munson (second marriage) and settled in Whitestone, NY. He arrived in Baltimore with the children of his first marriage.

I am trying to trace backwards to his first marriage (and his children of that marriage now in the US) and birth, and the rest of his parentage.

Thanks.

Tom
john1944

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: McGlinchey Reply with quote

Hello Tom.
Thank you for your quick reply.
Great grandparents were.......

William McGlinchey born 1855
Isabella McGlinchey nee Ramsay born 1855.

They were married in 1878

Their children were Isabella b.1880
Susan b 1881 (my grandmother)
Thomas b 1888
May 1890
William b 1892
Bridie b 1894
James b1896

Most if not all ended up in the states.All were from Co,Derry and Donegal.

I hope this information is of use,let me know.

Kind regards.
John.

Last edited by john1944 on Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
tom0153

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

You should be able to do a search on the County Donegal site to see what records might suggest a way to climb backwards, but I have run into some difficulty.

Michael McGlinchey emigrated something after the death of his first wife in 1877 (I am unsure why this is known in the family tree) and he married in 1886 and was naturalized in 1896. The names of his children via that first marriage are Edward and Anne.

You may wish to edit to correct (I assume Very Happy ) the date of birth of William.

I don't see anything striking me, and while I have not established a true link, the family story is that origins are in Mt. Charles, Donegal.

I'd assume your McGlinchey comes from that local, and your Ramsay from Kerry?

I am assuming that there is some parentage via an Edward I have seen, of earlier date than I have mentioned.

Try using this link, too: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~donegal/locations.htm

I'm hoping it will work for you, if not, let me know.

We may be cousins, and you may be holding my immense inheritance that I have been searching for all these years ( Laughing )

Best, Tom
john1944

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: McGlinchey Reply with quote

Thanks Tom,made correction`s.Sorry I spent all the money,but I did try to find you...honest.
John.
tom0153

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at least you made the good faith effort (smile). I hope you had fun spending the money!

I'd be interested in anything you are able to find.

Charles may have remained in Londonderry practicing medicine, I don't know.

I often spell a variant of the town name, it is properly Mountcharles in most places. The lord of the manor employed a large number of people at one time.

I like this style forum, since you can receive e-mails when things get updated.

I have always believed there were only two brothers, and I don't know if the family had moved to the town from elsewhere.

Thanks!

Tom
tom0153

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A "bump" in messages, just to let folks know I am still looking.

Researching the family history once established in New York, and climbing backwards in the family trees on the other side of the family, has proven more fruitful, and yielded a great education.

I wish I could do the same in Ireland (north or south).

Thanks.

Tom
Elwyn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice there was still a McGlinchey family in Mountcharles in the 1901 census. Relatives perhaps?

www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Donegal/Mountcharles/Mountcharles_Town/1170895/

No sign of Charles Edward McG in the 1901 or 1911 Irish censuses though.

I also see a will on the PRONI website for Edward McGlinchy.

Full Abstract :
The Will of Edward M'Glinchey late of Mountcharles County Donegal Grocer and General Merchant deceased who died 28 April 1870 at same place was proved at Londonderry by the oath of Anne M'Glinchey of Mountcharles aforesaid Widow the sole Executrix.

The full document can be seen on:

http://applications.proni.gov.uk/DCAL_PRONI_WillsCalendar/willsSearchResultsDetails.aspx
tom0153

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elwyn, many thanks for the referral to PRONI, I am sorry it has taken so long for me to get back to you. I missed the reply notification.

My understanding is that this would be Edward, father of Charles and Michael (and perhaps other children).

There is a stone in a cemetery that notes his passing. I don't know if it is his burial site or a memorial.

I have subsequently learned that Charles died in England from another kindly soul like yourself! He died in the home of another doctor, it seems, or in a clinic.

Michael died before 1910 in NY leaving a widow and five young nothing and teenage children. I have not been able to figure how or why yet.

I have seen Felix and his family listed in the census; he ran a pub which is still well remembered by the locals, but I don't know about any relation yet.

If anyone can help me further solves these mysteries, I'd appreciate the help!

Best,
tom0153

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:42 am    Post subject: Still actively pursuing McGlinchey Reply with quote

I am still interested in Edward McGlinchey, who was from Londonderry but when he married Ann Williams moved to Mountcharles.

What information that I do have I have posted to www.familysearch.org as well as to ancestry.com.

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ulster Ancestry Genealogy & Ancestry Forums Forum Index -> Derry/Londonderry Research All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: