Research Services - Get Reports, Family History Details and much more Buy Documents - Buy Ancestral Documents - Click here Free Content - Ancestral Information, details of townlands and more... Sign Up to our Free Ancestral Newsletter sent every 2-3 weeks
Ulster Ancestry Genealogy & Ancestry Forums Forum Index Ulster Ancestry Genealogy & Ancestry Forums
Message board for discussion of Ulster Genealogy and Northern Ireland Ancestry / Family History

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
New membership is closed. Current users log in as usual.

Ulster Ancestry Free Ancestor Search - Search over 330,000 ancestors and ancestry records.

Hind(s)/ McKnight/Roby/ Purlee

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ulster Ancestry Genealogy & Ancestry Forums Forum Index -> The Guest Book
View previous topic :: View next topic  
columbushinds

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:19 am    Post subject: Hind(s)/ McKnight/Roby/ Purlee Reply with quote

Looking for any and all information on the Hind (or Hinds), McKnight, Roby, and Purlee families, all of whom (I believe) came to the American colonies from Ulster and ultimately wound up in Washington County, Indiana.
JimG
Gold member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are suggesting in the american colonies time slots. Thats very earlier, have you exhausted the published emigration lists try a major library. if I was you I would divide up the names and put them back with seperate entries, but unless you tell more about the earliest known OF EACH in Indiana, you may get little help.
if I look at 1880 census am I correct in thinking there are no McConaghy spelling in Indiana, explain please

Do you think you have you exhausted family search.com

In ireland you have for example on Ros Davies Co Down website , but these will be toorecent for you
Miss Elizabeth ROBIE . Knockbreda regd. Ballymacarrett; wife of Henry Hodges; mother of Agnes b. 1868 CR
. Henry ROBY . Bangor husband of Mary McClenaghan; father of Robert James b. 11 Jun 1871 CR
Miss Margaret ROBIE . Knockbreda daughter of James Robie ; married William Kirkpatrick 25 Oct 1861 CR but no PURLEE ETC
Good luck onwards, jim
xrayathome
Established Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: McKnights of Ulster Reply with quote

I noticed your post is from years ago but decided to reply anyway, The name McKnight was very popular in Co Londonderry . eg,
There were 33 male McKnights in Derry in 1901, and 24 in 1911. and that was only one of 26 counties and Ireland was still one country.
I knew McKnights in Castledawson, who had a grocery store and were 'Christian Brethren' by 'religion' but there were others of all different Christian Denominations so plenty to go on, ie Church Records etc.

Also in the Free Census of Ireland there were 748 male McKnights in the 1901 census and 755 males in 1911, in the whole of Ireland so it is very likely that you could find your ancestors, there must be emigration records in your State/County , as well as Passenger Lists from, Belfast, Londonderry, Glasgow and Liverpool to American East Coast Ports, lots of Irish people also Canada and then travelled further.
Good luck and keep searching.
JimG
Gold member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purlee is a rare last name in uk,
it isnít listed in the Oxford Names companion 2002 and http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/

It appears to have a Middlesex background eg Westminister Parish burials
Christopher Purlee d 1715
Robert Purlee d 1730
Abraham Purlee d 1744

the irish connection shows up on overseas records
www.familysearch.org

United States Census, 1870
John Purlee M 55 Ireland [b 1815]
Winney Purlee F 57 Ireland as firstchild shown
Michael Purlee M 17 New York
John Purlee M 15 Kentucky
Martin Purlee M 14 Kentucky
my note John and Winnie emigrated before 1852-53
www.familysearch.org

Canada Census, 1881
Eward Purlee M 57y New Brunswick [B1824 irish ethnicity]
Ann Jain Purlee F 51y Ireland
Henry Purlee M 24y New Brunswick
Ellener Purlee F 22y New Brunswick
Robert Purlee M 20y New Brunswick
Cathrine M. Purlee F 14y New Brunswick
Isebell Purlee F 11y New Brunswick
Edward Purlee M 9y New Brunswick
William John Purlee M 4y New Brunswick
my note Edward and Ann Jane emigrated before 1856-57

In irish records I could not find any Purlee records including in the irish emigrant database at http://www.dippam.ac.uk/ied/

the nearest sound I could find pushing to the limits was from http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/
Polley Robert Ballyculter Down
Polley Thomas Ballyculter Down
Polley W. Ballyculter Down
Polley William Ballyculter Down
I give up JimG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ulster Ancestry Genealogy & Ancestry Forums Forum Index -> The Guest Book All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: